The California Room is a collection of books, maps, files, and other items on California history with emphasis on the history of San José and Santa Clara County.
Resources in the California Room
- Aerial Photographs - Historical aerial photographs of the greater San José area
- Census Records - County census rolls 1860-1880, 1900-1930
- City Directories - Residence, family, occupation info 1870-1979
- Digital Collections - Digitized images from selected Library collections
- Maps - Sanborn Fire Insurance, street, topographic maps
- Music Collections Index - Index of sheet music at King Library
- Newspapers - Key titles and clipping files in the California Room
- Pioneer Papers - Essays on Santa Clara County history
- School Yearbooks - Middle schools, high schools, colleges
- Silicon Valley Company Archive Index - Valley company archives from 1986-1993
- Vital Records - Birth, marriage, death, obituary information
- Weather Records for San José - Official weather logs from 1906-1962
- Your Old House Research Help - Resources on the history of your house
A caller wanted to know about the annual event at the Peralta Adobe celebrating the founding of San Jose. By bringing up the website, I discovered that the event will be November 24, 2013, though San Jose’s actual birthday is November 29. This year, San Jose will be 236 years old!
Builtin 1797, the Peralta Adobe is the last remaining structure from El Pueblo de San José de Guadalupe, which...
People often come to the California Room in search of a book that will give them a general overview of San Jose History. While we have many great resources on our shelves, one that we find ourselves recommending often is ...