eBooks, eAudioBooks, and eMusic materials at San Jose Public Library are available 24-7, whenever you’re online.
What do I need to use the library’s eBooks, eAudioBooks, and eMusic?
- A free Library Card account
- A personal computer with an internet connection (not a library computer)
- Various Reader software (for downloadable titles) and/or apps, depending on your device
- Apps for various services are also available from your app stores - search for OverDrive; Axis360 (set up an account on a computer first); OneClickDigital (set up an account on a computer first)
How do I start?
- Browse through the collections on the Downloads page
- Select the titles you want
- Download, install, and register the free reader software (if required)
- Read online or download to read or listen
- See our detailed eBook and eMedia FAQ for more information!
Quick Start Tutorials for OverDrive
- If you have a Kindle: here's a video tutorial on using SJPL's OverDrive collection on your Kindle.
- If you have a Nook: here's a video tutorial on using SJPL's OverDrive collection on your Nook.
Downloadable eBooks, eMusic, and eAudiobooks
Must first be checked out and then downloaded before being displayed or played. Files check out for 3 weeks. You can use downloadable content on a desktop or laptop computer, or transfer it to a portable device such as a smart phone or digital audio player.
- OverDrive: Fiction and non-fiction titles
- Axis360: Fiction and non-fiction titles
- OneClickdigital: Fiction and non-fiction titles
- EBSCO eBooks: Fiction and non-fiction titles
- EBSCO eAudiobooks: Fiction and non-fiction titles
- Gale eBooks and eAudiobooks: Reference and travel titles
- Freegal: Popular music in MP3 format that can play on any MP3 player, including the iPod. Music can be loaded into iTunes, on both PCs and Macs. No check-out required, no expiration. For details, please view this tutorial.
- Overdrive: Classical, children's music, and others. Requires check-out. Files checked out for 3 weeks.
Online eBooks and eAudiobooks
Instant display through your web browser. You don’t have to check out these items.
- EBSCO Legal eBooks: Nolo and other popular legal self-help titles.
- EBSCO eBooks: Popular eBooks on business, legal self-help, computer science, economics, literature, and psychology.
- Learning Express Library eBooks: PDF ebooks for exams such as SAT, GED, GRE, GMAT, Civil Service jobs, and ASVAB.
- Missions of California eBooks: California missions books.
- Safari Books Online: Programming and IT eBooks published within the last three years.
- Books24x7: Programming, IT, and wellness eBooks from various publishers.
- TumbleBook Library: Children’s picture books and chapter books with both text and audio.
NOTE FOR KINDLE USERS: You may receive renewal or purchase messages from Amazon regarding your downloaded library eBook. These messages are not from SJPL, and do not affect the terms of your library check-out. SJPL never solicits purchases, nor charges fees, for any use of library e-resources.