Jobs at the Library
How to Apply
To apply for San José Public Library jobs, please visit the City of San José’s employment page at www.sanjoseca.gov/cityjobs and click on the "all City Job Opening" link.
Job Posting Dates*
We will be accepting applications for the following jobs:
- Library Page: April 13 - April 19
*All dates subject to change. Visit www.sanjoseca.gov/cityjobs for official posting periods.
Why work at The San José Public Library?
It is an exciting time in San José! With overwhelming support from our communities and our City Council we are increasing our open hours at all of our library branches. Would you like to work for one of the most exciting and innovative library systems in the nation? Now is your opportunity!
San José Public Library offers:
- Culturally diverse population of nearly 959,000 in the country's 10th largest city.
- One of the busiest library systems nationwide with an annual checkout rate of nearly 14 million items.
- Award-winning innovation and leadership: 2004 Thomson Gale/Library Journal Library of the Year and 2011 National Medal for Museum and Library Service, the nation’s highest honor for a library.
- New expanded hours for all branch locations
- Library Parcel Tax expansion recently approved by San José Voters
Current Employment Opportunities Descriptions
Job Title: Library Page
Salary: $19.06 per hour
Posting Dates: 4/13/2015 - 4/19/2015
The San José Public Library System has numerous libraries throughout the City. We hire Library Pages for each of these locations, and for our Library Page Substitute Pool. Library Pages selected for specific locations are normally scheduled to work approximately 12 hours per week, year round on a regular basis. Library Pages selected for our Substitute Pool are scheduled to work at various locations as needed. The days and hours assigned vary depending on which location you are assigned to and the scheduling needs of that branch/unit, but most will require some evenings and weekends.
Library Pages are responsible for providing direct customer service, filing materials on the shelves quickly and accurately so that customers can locate the items easily, providing assistance at the customer service desk, assisting in maintaining an orderly and welcoming environment by monitoring the facility, answering questions from customers in person or over the phone, explaining library policies and procedures, conducting basic searches on library catalogues, checking materials in/out, helping customers register for a borrower's card, collecting fines, interacting with and working well with other team members.
These positions require pushing or pulling carts loaded with materials; packing, unpacking and transporting shipment boxes; reaching, bending and stooping to put materials on low and high shelves; actively moving for several hours at a time, retrieving items from deep bins, and standing for periods of time.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
Any combination of training and experience equivalent to:
- Education: Completion of two (2) years of high school or the equivalent.
- Experience: No minimum requirement.
- Special Qualification: A work permit is required, at the time of hire, for persons under 18 years of age.
- Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Department of Labor.
How to Apply
To view the full announcement for this exciting opportunity and apply online with the City of San José, please visit the City of San José’s employment page at www.sanjoseca.gov/cityjobs.
SJPL Employment Notifications
Don’t miss out on important SJPL employment opportunities. Stay connected through one of more of the following ways:
- Join our mailing list by emailing Personnel@sjlibrary.org
- Set up a job notification through the City of San José‘s Employment page
- Like SJPL on Facebook
Library Career Employment Workshops and Webinars
SJPL hosts and participates in various library employment workshops and webinars. To be notified of future and workshops email Personnel@sjlibrary.org.
- None scheduled at this time. Check back soon.
SJPL has an extensive volunteer program. To find more information on current volunteer opportunities and to start gaining valuable and rewarding experience working in a library, go to the SJPL’s Volunteer page to sign up.