Jobs at the Library
How to Apply
To apply for San José Public Library jobs, please visit the City of San José’s employment page at www.sanjoseca.gov/cityjobs and click on the "all City Job Opening" link.
Job Posting Dates*
We will be accepting applications for the following jobs:
- Librarian I/II Part Time/Full Time: March 23 - April 5
- Senior Librarian: March 30 - April 9
- Literacy Program Specialist: March 30 - April 9
- Warehouse Worker Part Time/Full Time: April 6 - April 15
- Library Page: April 6 - April 12
*All dates subject to change. Visit www.sanjoseca.gov/cityjobs for official posting periods.
Why work at The San José Public Library?
It is an exciting time in San Jose! With overwhelming support from our communities and our City Council we are increasing our open hours at all of our library branches. Would you like to work for one of the most exciting and innovative library systems in the nation? Now is your opportunity!
San Jose Public Library offers:
- Culturally diverse population of nearly 959,000 in the country's 10th largest city.
- One of the busiest library systems nationwide with an annual checkout rate of nearly 14 million items.
- Award-winning innovation and leadership: 2004 Thomson Gale/Library Journal Library of the Year and 2011 National Medal for Museum and Library Service, the nation’s highest honor for a library.
- New expanded hours for all branch locations
- Library Parcel Tax expansion recently approved by San José Voters
Current Employment Opportunities Descriptions
Job Title: Librarian I/II Full Time and Part Time
Salary: $60,507 - $78,728
Posting Dates: March 23 - April 5
We are seeking new Librarians to join our team and change the lives of those we serve! We are currently looking to fill full time and part time openings. The ideal candidate for these positions will understand, support, practice and promote the San José Way of library innovation and the Mission, Vision, & Values statements of the City of San José and the San José Public Library; demonstrate leadership and a commitment to active customer service; have knowledge of current library technology and trends; have experience working with a diverse community and staff; and enjoy working in a fast-paced, innovative team environment.
Our librarians are community leaders, using their professional skills in finding ways to keep the library in the forefront of providing the information, lifelong learning, and recreational diversions people need to lead better lives. The job description enumerates the range of duties expected, but above all we are looking for flexible, service-oriented, friendly, and smart librarians, proud of their profession and wanting to make a difference in their community.
Librarians are responsible for performing a variety of professional librarian duties. This may include: providing direct assistance to library customers in the location of information and library materials; serving as a resource for children, young adults, adults and library staff; conducting library tours, giving book talks, and planning, promoting, or presenting other programs; working with community groups to promote understanding, use and support of library service activities; analyzing, interpreting and answering reference questions, and providing reader's advisory information; supervising, leading or training the work of a clerical and technical staff as assigned; assuming responsibility for a facility or a section as assigned; selecting and managing collections; cataloging; web development and design. These positions will include evenings and weekend shifts.
We encourage Spring 2015 Master Degree in Library Science Candidates to Apply.
- Education: A Master's Degree in Library Science from an accredited college or university.
- Degree must be received by the hire date, transcripts may be requested.
- Experience: Librarian I - None; Librarian II - Minimum one year of full-time professional library experience.
How to Apply
To view the full announcement for this exciting opportunity and apply online with the City of San José, please visit the City of San José’s employment page at www.sanjoseca.gov/cityjobs.
SJPL Employment Notifications
Don’t miss out on important SJPL employment opportunities. Stay connected through one of more of the following ways:
- Join our mailing list by emailing Personnel@sjlibrary.org
- Set up a job notification through the City of San Jose‘s Employment page
- Like SJPL on Facebook
Library Career Employment Workshops and Webinars
SJPL hosts and participates in various library employment workshops and webinars. To be notified of future and workshops email Personnel@sjlibrary.org.
- None scheduled at this time. Check back soon.
SJPL has an extensive volunteer program. To find more information on current volunteer opportunities and to start gaining valuable and rewarding experience working in a library, go to the SJPL’s Volunteer page to sign up.