Jobs at the Library
How to Apply
To apply for San José Public Library jobs, please visit the City of San José’s employment page at www.sanjoseca.gov/cityjobs and click on the "Open-Competitive Recruitments" link.
We will be accepting applications for the following job:
Salary Range: $64,188.80 – $83,532.80
Job ID: 1700181
Full/Part Time: Full
Close Date: 2/27/2017
Get Started: More Details & Apply Online
Position and Duties
It is an exciting time in San José! Under the leadership of Library Journal’s 2017 Librarian of the Year, Jill Bourne, we have implemented numerous initiatives: opportunities to regain library access; creation of
TeenHQ, the King Library’s teen center and makerspace; launch of the Maker(Space)Ship, a mobile makerspace; and SJPL Works, a space for small business and workforce development. Now is your opportunity to work for one of the most innovative library systems in the nation.
We are seeking new Librarians to join our team and change the lives of those we serve! We are currently looking to fill full-time and part-time openings. The ideal candidate for these positions will understand, support, practice and promote the San José Way of library innovation and the Mission, Vision, & Values statements of the City of San José and the San José Public Library; demonstrate leadership and a commitment to active customer service; have knowledge of current library technology and trends; have experience working with a diverse community and staff; and enjoy working in a fast-paced, innovative team environment.
Our librarians are community leaders, using their professional skills in finding ways to keep the library in the forefront of providing the information, lifelong learning, and recreational diversions people need to lead better lives. The job description enumerates the range of duties expected, but above all we are looking for flexible, service-oriented, friendly, and smart librarians, proud of their profession and wanting to make a difference in their community.
Librarians are responsible for performing a variety of professional librarian duties. This may include:
- Providing direct assistance to library customers in the location of information and library materials
- Serving as a resource for children, young adults, adults, and library staff
- Conducting library tours, giving book talks, and planning, promoting, or presenting other programs
- Presenting storytimes and other early literacy programs
- Working with community groups to promote understanding, use, and support of library service activities
- Analyzing, interpreting and answering reference questions, and providing reader's advisory information
- Supervising, leading, or training the work of clerical and technical staff as assigned
- Assuming responsibility for a facility or a section as assigned
- Selecting and managing collections
- Service and program support for teens
- Small business and workforce development programming
- Web development and design
These positions will include evenings and weekend shifts.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
If you are currently a part time benefited San José Public Library employee seeking full time employment, you must apply. We may use this candidate pool to fill future positions.
We encourage Spring 2017 Master Degree in Library Science Candidates to Apply.
- Education: A Master's Degree in Library Science from an accredited college or university. Degree must be received by hire date; transcripts may be requested.
- Experience: Librarian I - None; Librarian II - Minimum one year (2,080 hours) of professional library experience.
- Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San José will NOT sponsor, represent or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
Why work at San José Public Library?
It is an exciting time in San José! With overwhelming support from our communities and our City Council, we are increasing our open hours at all of our library branches. Would you like to work for one of the most exciting and innovative library systems in the nation? Now is your opportunity!
San José Public Library offers:
- Culturally diverse population of nearly 959,000 in the country's 10th largest city.
- One of the busiest library systems nationwide with an annual checkout rate of nearly 14 million items.
- Award-winning innovation and leadership: 2004 Thomson Gale/Library Journal Library of the Year and 2011 National Medal for Museum and Library Service, the nation’s highest honor for a library.
- New expanded hours for all branch locations
- Library Parcel Tax expansion recently approved by San José Voters
SJPL Employment Notifications
Don’t miss out on important SJPL employment opportunities. Stay connected through one of more of the following ways:
Library Career Employment Workshops and Webinars
SJPL hosts and participates in various library employment workshops and webinars. To be notified of future and workshops email Personnel@sjlibrary.org.
- None scheduled at this time. Check back soon.
SJPL has an extensive volunteer program. To find more information on current volunteer opportunities and to start gaining valuable and rewarding experience working in a library, go to the SJPL’s Volunteer page to sign up.